2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Friday, June 6, 2008

REVIEW for LoveHampton


TITLE: LoveHampton
AUTHOR: Sherri Rikfin
DATE of
RELEASE: May 2008
GENRE: Chick Lit
RATING: 4 Stars
I have reviewed this book for:
I am a picky reader. I am especially picky about my contemporary romance reads. Although some dislike the term "chick lit", to me it is a badge of honor! I have been recently bemoaning the apparent demise of the genre. Well, I am thrilled to report that LOVEHAMPTON is literally making me eat my words!
This debut novel, written by Sherri Rifkin has brought back all that is wonderful about a well written contemporary romance.

Our main character Tori (or it is Miller?) has led the life of a recluse for the last two years, thanks to her former boyfriend. Well, her friends aren't going to take it anymore and practically force her to take part in a house sharing program in the Hamptons and we get to along for the ride.
I absolutely adored the detailed scenes of the socialite parties, the beautiful clothes and the even more wild relationships and hook-ups (although these were all described with surprisingly little sexual content) - which tells me that the author understands that, for most of us, reading these books is really about romance and love (okay and maybe a little bit about the shoes and the clothes!!!).

Although there is alot going on (there are quite a few characters to keep track of), Rifkin somehow manages to make us care about each and every character - although I have to admit it was more of a stretch for me to care about Leigh!

However, throughout the good times, the partying and the in-fighting (you knew there had to be some right?') - the author never forgets about Tori - and the fact that this character is a smart, hurt and vulnerable person.

Although, at times, I have to admit that I wanted to scream at her to 'get tougher' and to 'stop letting other people tell you what to do', it is obvious, by the end of the story, that the author had a very definite arc planned for her. I thouroughly enjoyed watching Tori learn her lessons the hard way and through it all still held on to her empathy, warmth and hope!

I loved, loved, loved this book. I can't wait for the second book by this author.

1 comment:

SmilingSally said...

Your review made this book sound like my idea of a perfect-for-the-beach book.
Please allow me to enter.
smilingsal55[at]yahoo[dot]com

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges