2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Saturday, July 19, 2008

REVIEW for Tan Lines

TITLE: Tan Lines
AUTHOR: J.J. Salem
DATE: 2008
GENRE: Chick Lit
RATING: 4 Stars

I was lucky enough to get a review copy of this book from St-Martin's Press.

Please view this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vwYuyArABs
You can link to the book: http://us.macmillan.com/tanlines#praise
You can purchase this book at: http://us.macmillan.com/Retailer.aspx?isbn=9780312374150

Okay, I am a huge chick lit fan and I have to say that I have been thrilled to read Tan Lines by J.J. Salem. This book is extremely raunchy and pushes the envelope on almost every level, but it is such a wild ride of a read that you don't care - I just got on the bandwagon and kept reading to see where it would lead me.

Right from the beginning you just KNOW that our three leading characters, Liza, Kellyanne and Billie are heading for a huge fall - but somehow I just could not wait to find out just how low they would all need to go before they figured out that the road they were on - WAS THE WRONG ONE!!!!

If the old saying is true, then you understand why these three ended up finding each other.

What I also loved about this book is the fact that the girls, although confused and extremely sexual, still managed to convey a strong sense of girl power!!! and I am all for that. Interestingly enough, the men in this storyline are definitely backstories and the main focus is on the females - kind of like Sex and the Story - which this book reminded me of (except that I did not feel the love among the three friends all that much). This story was told with humor and honesty and although I can't say that I loved any of the main characters - they were wonderfully written and I totally enjoyed living through them.

Although this book may be shocking to some, there is actually a morale to this story. I also thought this book had the absolute best opening lines...caught my attention IMMEDIATELY.

If you are looking for a great chick lit read, then run to get this one.













9 comments:

Ruth King said...

I really enjoyed this book. I read it all in one day and I'm so glad that I took a chance on it -- I don't read that much chick lit, but wanted to widen my horizons. I was definitely rewarded for the effort!

Cheryl said...

I also enjoyed this book. I can't wait to read Bikini Wax

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see you liked it, it's up soon on my TBR pile:)

Cheryl Vanatti said...

Sorry to leave this here, but didn't see an email address. Just wanted to let you know that I received LoveHampton today and thank you again :-)

Anonymous said...

Hmm..raunchy with a morale. I'll have to check that out.

Liz said...

This one looks really fun! I enjoy chick lit, too -- think it gets a bad rap as a enre, to be honest with you. Some of it's dumb, some of it's not -- just like any other so-called "genre."

For another romanc-y, summer read, try 3 aces. How many poker-playing heroines do you know? The hero is more unusual, too, as he's a trucker kind of hiding from the world. It's July -- enjoy!

Marie Cloutier said...

i nominated you for an award! go to my blog to see! :-)

Anonymous said...

This one's coming up in Mt. TBR. I have to admit, when I saw the cover I thought it was going to be awful, but I've been hearing so many positive reviews about the book that I'm quite eager to start it!

photoquest said...

I've already added this one to my wish List!!

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges