2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Sunday, November 16, 2008

REVIEW for I Know It's Over



A huge thank you to author C.K. Kelly Martin for being kind enough to send this book to me for review.








TITLE: I Know It's Over

AUTHOR: C.K. Kelly Martin

GENRE: YA

DATE: 2008

RATING: 4 Stars

I know Its Over is a powerful YA adult novel. I wish they had these types of YA novels when I was younger – but , of course, all of the topics covered in this book such as teen sexuality, pregnancy and abortion would have been way too controversial in my day!

I think novels like these are absolutely essential – they dare to talk about subjects that teenagers MUST face everyday of their lives – burying our heads in the sand is no longer an option!

I Know its Over introduces us to Nick. He is a pretty typical 16 year old guy. He is somewhat confused about his life and is wondering where all the pieces go. He meets and falls for Sasha and they become inseparable. After a while though, the relationship runs its course and the couple split up – except that Sasha comes back a little while later and she has big news – she is pregnant.What follows is an absolutely wonderful read – the author chooses to write this book mainly from Nick’s point of view which is refreshing.

As a teen girl, I often wondered how a guy’s mind works (still haven’t quite figured that one out yet!) and I often wondered how it must feel for them to hear the dreaded words ‘I’m pregnant’.Author C.K. Kelly Martin pulls no punches. She throws the two teenagers into a very difficult situation and chooses not to sugar coated with lots of empty promises and unwanted romanticism. While Nick wants to be included in any decisions that are made about this pregnancy, Sasha finds herself pulling away from him and turning inwards – she also decides to tell her parents – a decision that seriously changes the dynamics of the situation.

This is basically every teenagers biggest fear – and kudos for Nick for choosing not to bolt and basically tell Sasha ‘its your problem’. Still, I do believe that when it comes to a woman’s body - she has THE only right to choose what is best for her! so, although I commend the author for including Nick in parts of the decision making – ultimately the decision lies with Sasha.This novel is touching and, at times, extremely difficult to read. It is also quite sexually descriptive which may not be great for younger teens – but it’s a must read for any teen out there who is considering having sex or is currently engaged in a sexual relationship.

I LOVED this book.

4 comments:

Alea said...

GAH! I really really really want to read this one! It seems so far people are loving it!

S. Krishna said...

I totally agree - this book was really good. My review is posting on Tuesday.

Library Cat said...

I will definitely have to read this one. Another excellent book from the young father's POV is The First Part Last by Angela Johnson. This book was a Coretta Scott King Award winner in 2004. If you have not read it, check it out.
LibrarysCat

Serena said...

what a great perspective for a novel. I think that a novel from a teen boy's pov is a great idea, particularly when teen pregnancy is involved. Thanks for another great review.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges