2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Sunday, November 23, 2008

REVIEW for Pre-Nup



TITLE: Pre-Nup

AUTHOR: Beth Kendrick

GENRE: Chick Lit

DATE: November 25, 2008

RATING: 5 Stars

I received this book from the author, Beth Kendrick. Thank you so much for sending this to me Beth!

Let me start by saying that I love, love, love all of Beth Kendricks previous books, so I was beyond excited to crack open this book. I made sure to "keep" the book for my trip to Burlington, Vermont which I took last week and as I was making my way by train, I knew that this book would be the perfect partner for my travels.

Pre-nup takes a very clever look at the role the pre-nups takes in Ellie, Jen and Mara's lives. Yes, they are best friends and all have come to a crossroads of a sort - involving what else??? men, marriage and pre-nups.

Although this sounds like a very serious plotline, Kendrick created a whole storyline for these three friends in which the pre-nup is a central issue, but never THE central issue. Ellie is already married with a tight pre-nup and a cheating husband who is going to make sure she ends up destitute. Jen is also married to a man that she never loved (or does she?) and when he ends their marriage - he just wants to get out - pre-nup be damned. Of course, there is also Mara who is in love and about to get married and who insists of having a pre-nup - to which her fiance says NO!!! (this is a great twist on the more standard boy wants pre-nup and girl does not).

Although this book is about men and love, Kendrick focuses her writing on the wonderful and deep friendship these women have for each other. I loved every minute of their time together and of their commitment to each other.

The men take a definite second place in this warm and touching novel and despite the highly serious tones, somehow Kendrick still manages to make her characters happy and brave. There is very little "poor little me" in this novel (and believe me when you read Ellie's story you will feel very sorry for her AND HATE HER HUSBAND). The women are strong and stand up for themselves.

I think my favorite character was Mara - who is an enigma even to herself.

This book made me really hate some of the guys and really love the women! A true chick lit empowerment book!!!!

I loved it, loved it, loved it and by the time I looked up from my train ride, we were already there!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

5 stars! Wow, that does sound good.

S. Krishna said...

I'm glad you liked this one! My review posts on Tuesday, and I didn't love it but it was definitely enjoyable!

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges