2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

REVIEW For Wishing Won't Do It




Thank you to Cindy at Brown Books for sending this book along to me!




TITLE: Wishing Won't Do It
AUTHOR: Dave Brennan
GENRE: Personal Finance
RATING: 4 Stars

I wish I had read this type of book when I was in my early twenties. Back then, it seemed to me as though I would have a lifetime to worry about money issues and that my 20's were about enjoying myself. Unfortunately, I spent wayyy too much and way into my 30's. So I am the perfect target audience for the book Wishing Won't do it.

After reading the title, it made me think and I have to admit that, for most of my life, I somehow just believed that the money would "just" appear by magic when I needed it. Author Brennan takes a very honest look at how we, as humans, take a look at money. For the most part, we don't understand it, are intimidated by it, let it lead us and basically see it as a base of some kind of superpower.

One of the more important chapters in this book is about reducing debt. This, I believe, is the root of ALL evil - Brennan quotes staggering numbers of people in debt and the amount they owe is amazing. Of course, with what is happening in our world today, we all get a very good firsthand look at the woes too much credit has created, but it amazes me just how far reaching these woes actually are!

Brennan also takes a very interesting look at how our generation's view of money differs so much from the previous generations - short term gratification!!!!

This book basically covers off most personal finance aspects we may be encountering. I really liked the section Planning for your Retirement - which, in my opinion, is invaluable for those boomers!

What I liked so much about this book is that it is written for the average person - the terms are easily understandable and the message is clear and honest. This book is also scary to read, especially in our present economic situation - and although Brennan's message is pretty much the same as many other personal finance authors - it still sends a chill through me- "get your act together NOW or you will end up struggling in your retirement years".

I suggest this book to young adults, older adults and anyone in between - its a wake up call - that is for sure!

3 comments:

Meljprincess said...

I too wish this book had been around when I was younger. I feel this book would benefit me greatly. Wow, you really recommend some great books!

Mel K.

Kristie said...

Thankfully, my husband and I value saving but unfortunetly, this past year was rough and we had to use quite a bit of it. However, I am largely cut the instant gratification shopping. Earlier today I kept telling myself I don't need another book, even if it is only $5.00... that $5.00 can go into savings and I can go to the library. This book sounds good though and maybe serve a reminder to what we are doing and it is the smart thing to do.

Sue A. said...

I’ve always been frugal, even as a child. I like to think I learned from my parent’s mistakes. I wish they’d had a chance to read a book like this before they’ve come of age.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges