2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

REVIEW for Above the Law


A big thank you to Miriam for sending me this book!
TITLE: Above the Law
AUTHOR: Tim Green
GENRE: Thriller
RATING: 4 Stars
I have to do full disclosure on this review. I LOVE Tim Green and have basically read everything he has written. Needless to say, I was thrilled, thrilled to get an ARC of Above the Law.
I am starting to see a small trend lately - that is authors using Mexico as a setting or background for their storylines. I have to say that I find this trend a tad annoying as I live in Canada (the OTHER border) and find myself reading all too often about issues in Mexico, which although I know are important, I am not certain I want to keep reading about in my fiction books. Having said that though, I must say that although Above the Law focuses almost entirely on the Mexican border, illegal immigrants and the horrible living conditions in Mexico, I thought the plotline, characters and overall storytelling were so superior that I found myself totally engrossed in the book.
Casey Jordan is back and she is now workin in a legal aid clinic - needless to say, she is no longer dealing with the people she was representing when she was in her high powered position. Casey finds herself tangled up in an "apparently accidental shooting" of an illegal immigrant and the shooter is a US senator. Jordan does not believe the well rehearsed speech coming out of the Senator's mouth so she decides to take matters into her own hands and decides to "take on" the lying, murdering senator. I love the Casey Jordan character.
I have to say that Green has a way of making his female characters power houses and yet he still manages to make them fun, bright and interesting and Casey is one of my absolute favorites.
The storyline is fast-paced and offers up quite a nice variety of minor detours - so it will keep you guessing!!! At one point, I could not figure out how Green was going to bring this storyline to a successful end (i.e. the Senator was going to pay for what he did) and yet, Green managed to cleverly turn the plotline and offered us a wonderful little twist.
This story makes us come face to face with the all too serious issues that are now going on on the Mexican border and points a finger at some of the harsh realities going on in Mexico right now. It was quite a feat for Green to manage to take a very timely and sensitive subject and weave it into a thrilling thriller and he has succeeded!!!!

3 comments:

Kaye said...

Wow, does this sound good! I've only read one of Green's books, The Letter of the Law and it was a heartstopper in places. Phew! He sure knows how to set up the suspense. Thanks for sharing

Anonymous said...

This was my first Tim Green book and I like it a lot too. My review will be up soon.

Reyna Meinhardt said...

Ive never read any of Tim Green's books! It sounds like the kind of book my Mom might like! Thanks for the review!

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges