2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

REVIEW for Devil's Paintbox



A big thank you goes out to Random House for sending me this book to read and review.

www.randomhouse.com

TITLE: Devil's Paintbox

AUTHOR: Victoria McKernan

GENRE: YA

RATING: 4 Stars

I am not a big fan of any novel set in the West - but I made an exception this time because I thought the storyline sounded very interesting. I was right! Devil's Paintbox is way beyond the basics of a "western" novel.

The storyline is very deep and moving and the main characters are extremely well drawn up and are vivid in the storyline. The basic storyline features Jefferson Jackson and the novel is set in 1865 on the Oregon Trail. We find Jackson meeting up with two orphans who are desperately trying to survive. Striking a deal with them, Jackson finds himself involved with Maddie and Aiden and all three of them will learn some important life lessons as they board the wagon train and try to survive in the rough terrain that is the Oregon Trail.

While this novel does describe the harsh ways of the time period, it also does a fine job of focusing on its main characters and is definitely a character driven storyline.

I enjoyed reading this book way more than I thought I would and I am happy that I decided to "take a chance on it".

3 comments:

Wall-to-wall books said...

Wow, sounds good.
I actually do like books set in the west.
I love historical fiction and books about the settlement in the west.
So maybe I would enjoy this book.

Reyna Meinhardt said...

This looks like a pretty book. I think my brother would like it! I will have to rent it from the library...

Unknown said...

It's about the Oregon Trail? The first thing that comes to my mind is the computer game! I don't think I've ever read a book about it - that could be really interesting! I might have to check this one out :)

cecilia

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges