2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

REVIEW for The Fourth Part of the World

A big thank you goes out to Michelle at Simon & Schuster for sending this along to me.

TITLE: The Fourth Part of the World

AUTHOR: Toby Lester

GENRE: Non fiction

RATING: 4 Stars




History is not my best subject - and frankly, I had never really given much thought to maps or how/who/why they were created. When I first saw The Fourth Part of the World, I thought I would give it a pass - not my type of thing, however, I started reading the first chapters and got hooked.

This book is not only about a map that was created 500 years ago and bought recently by the US, but rather its about all the history behind the map as author Lester works backward from the map in order to decode it and better understand it.

This book takes you on a history quest in such a fun way (reminded me of the Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventures) - never boring and always intriguing, it made reading about the Renaissance and Marco Polo's Adventures simply entertaining and engrossing.

I devoured this book - wow what a ride.




No comments:

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges