2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Thursday, May 14, 2009

REVIEW for Waiting for You


Thank you goes out to Jillian for sending me this book!!





TITLE: Waiting for You

AUTHOR: Susane Colasanti
GENRE: YA
RATING: 4 Stars
I feel partial to books that are aimed at a YA audience, but are written in a "real" voice - depicting the good and not so good parts of everyday life. I am not a believer in pretending that everything is always okay, because sometimes, life can suck. I think we need to teach our YA that there is good and bad and that we need to deal with it all.
That is why I absolutely adore books such as Waiting for You. This particular book has struck a chord with my adult self - as I often felt, as a teenager, and maybe sometimes as an adult that I am somehow waiting for my "real" life to start - once I get skinny, once I have a boyfriend, once....once...once and this is exactly how our main character Marisa feels most of the time. Her life is far from perfect - as her parents get more and more distant, Marisa is fighting depressing and anxiety - but she somehow manages to plow through it regardless of what is thrown at her.

In the mix are a few guys - all of whom have their own "good points" and while Marisa thinks she may love one guy, she also seems to be developing feeelings for two other guys -one she has never even met before.
I loved that this story is not necessarily ONLY about boys, boys, boys, but rather about Marisa and how she feels and more importantly, how she decides to "take charge" of her destiny and to forge her way ahead, to the best of her abilities.

This novel also takes an honest look at things such as friendship (or lack of it) and family ties - and what happens when all of it seems to be disappearing right in front of you.

This book is both charming and touching - at one time making me happy and at others, finding myself confronted by the realities of life, but throughout it all, I found myself rooting for Marisa!!!!!

1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

Sounds like a fabulous read!

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges