2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Friday, June 19, 2009

REVIEW for Ms. Taken Identity

A thank you goes out to Miriam at Hachette Books for sending this chick lit along to me!



TITLE: Ms. Taken Identity
AUTHOR: Dan Begley
GENRE: Chick Lit
RATING: 3 Stars





Ms. Taken Identity has a rather clever plotline - Mitch Samuel is a writer who is clueless about women and what they want. He ends up meeting a romance writer and pretending that he knows "someone" who is interested in writing chick lit - the romance writer asks for a manuscript from this "someone" and Mitch finds himself having to write a chick lit manuscript and fast! the only problem - he has no idea how to go about doing this. At the urging of his friend Bradley, Mitch enlists in a class in order to learn more about the opposite sex and in the process falls in love with Marie - Bradley's sister - how on earth did writing a novel become so complicated?

This is actually, in my opinion, a pretty clever plotline. The only problem is -this book is imitating real life -i.e. it is obvious that this chick lit is written by a man and I have to say - men do not know how to write chick lit. Obviously, I have not read all of them - but since chick lit is my "genre", I feel fairly well informed on this subject.


While this book is okay, it just does not flow the way that a chick lit should and more importantly, it just does not "dig" deeply into the female points of view - what it does, actually is depict the male point of view and frankly, in my case, I do not read chick lit to read a guy's point of view.

Yep, call me chauvinist - but I think I will stick to reading chick lit written by a woman.

1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

I don't think I've ever read chick lit written by a man, but I think you're probably right.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges