2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

REVIEW for Easy on the Eyes


Thank you Miriam for sending me this great book!




TITLE: Easy on the Eyes

AUTHOR: Jane Porter

GENRE: Chick Lit

RATING: 4 Stars
Although I am a huge fan of chick lit, for some reason, I had never read any Jane Porter and was not certain what to expect.

Let me say that Easy on the Easy caught my attention immediately because the main character Tiana Tomlinson is actually 38 years old - which is kind of "positivity old" in the chick lit world - although this is slowly changing thank goodness! Not only is Tiana 38, but she is 38 AND is in the daily spotlight in a world where youth is EVERYTHING.
I loved this plotline and could not wait to read the rest of the storyline. I really loved the character of Tiana - who is a strong female character who actually embraces all the lines on her face and refuses to have "any work done" as the studio executives suggest (at which point my own blood was pretty much boiling!). I like that although she was tough, she was also very realistic and honest with herself - knowing full well that life for her, was not about to get any easier, as she gets older.

There is an interesting look at the shady world of youth and beauty in the "public eye" and I found this to be as interesting as what happens to the main character. Somewhat predictably, she is given a male "protogonist" who just happens to be a doctor - which gives for some interesting dialogue and some fun "situations".

But what really clinched this book for me was the "meeting" that happens towards the end of the book in which Tiana is forced to look at her own reality - this part of the book brought tears to my eyes at times and kind of put the whole concept of beauty and youth into perspective for me. I thought it was a nice touch to the storyline.

This book was great fun to read and actually had a strong message attached to it.

3 comments:

Wall-to-wall books said...

That's funny about 38 being old in the "chick-lit" world. But it is true.

I am 47 and I LOVE chick-lit even about the younger chicks, LOL. I have a 20 yr old daughter and it hard to imagine her in the different scenarios. She is SO not like a chick-lit book!

Cheryl said...

Nice. I want to read this book

bermudaonion said...

I'm really looking forward to reading this after reading your great review.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges