2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Friday, July 31, 2009

REVIEW for The Treasure Map of Boys

Thank you to Knopf Delacorte Dell Young Readers Group for sending this book along to me.






TITLE: The Treasure Map of Boys

AUTHOR: E. Lockhart
GENRE: YA

RATING: 3 Stars




The Treasure Map of Boys features our main character Ruby Oliver - her life is a bit of a disaster - having lost her best friend, she has panic attacks and she is sharing a lot of time with her therapist. I am not sure what to make of this book. The main character was cute and funny, despite all her melodrama (and there is lots of it here). It certainly reminded me of how dramatic I would get in high school at a time when EVERYTHING seemed to make me go over the top.


I think the problem I had with this novel is that it felt as though it was aimed at a much younger audience than YA. Some of the writing felt a little juvenile and the social issues tackled here felt as though only the surface was scratched. This is not a horrible book in the least, but it just did not measure up to my expectations compared to so many other YA social issues books that I have read in the last year.



2 comments:

Diana Dang said...

Thanks for the review. : )

bermudaonion said...

It sure does have a cute cover, though.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges