2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

REVIEW for Dear Undercover Economist


Another big, big thank you goes out to Jess at Random House for sending this book to me!





TITLE: Dear Undercover Economist


AUTHOR: Tim Harford

GENRE: Self Help/Humor/Finance

RATING: 4 Stars




http://www.randomhouse.ca/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9780385667432

As you can see by my "genre" description, I had a heck of a time pegging this book and that was part of the fun for me of reading this one.

Although I must admit that when I first heard about this book, I thought it would be a serious personal finance book. I also was not aware that the author actually has a real life column in the Financial Times of all places - which should have given credence to this being a dry and boring book on finance. However, as soon as I saw the cover, I knew that this would NOT be 'one of those' finance books :) Thank God!


Dear Undercover Economist was a fun, fun read - exploring, through wit and some wonderful stories - what is going on in the financial world. This book is hard to really explain - except to say that people sent in questions and the author attempts to answer them - so this book is set up as an "question and answer" type of book.

For example, one of the questions:

"I am starting to suspect that my husband is having an affair, how can I find out?"

Answer:
I recommend that you use an "information market"......

I loved this book!!! it was loaded with important information, but like a sour medicine - it went down much easier because it came with a healthy dose of sugar.



2 comments:

bermudaonion said...

This does sound like loads of fun!

Linda Nguyen said...

Wow, I didn't think finance books can also be fun to read. This sounds like an interesting book. I think many of us need a copy. =)

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges