2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Sunday, August 9, 2009

REVIEW for The Devil's Queen


Thank you to Sarah at St-Martin's Press for sending me a copy of this book!
TITLE: The Devil's Queen

AUTHOR: Jeanne Kalogridis
GENRE: Historical Fiction
RATING: 4 Stars
I am not a fan of historical fiction and I had absolutely no idea who Catherine De Medici was, however, I received this book for review and started leafing through it and immediately became engrossed by the book - this is unusual for me, considering the subject matter. However, once I started reading it, I found I could not stop.

Perhaps it is the subject matter - Catherine De Medici was NOT a nice person and was certainly not living in a place and time (The French Court) where she could afford to let her guard down which just added to her manipulation and overall disregard for anybody else. Yet, at the same time, I found myself highly engrossed by her life and what he had lived through and more particularly, how she was trying to survive by using the occult and putting all her trust in Ruggieri - who is weird and creepy.

You actually do get to feel what it must have been like to live during this period - where there seems to have been no boundaries and it was "each person for themselves".

The author managed to make me actually feel badly, at times, for Catherine, I mean, on some level, she was a product of her own time and family - but, for the most part, she was a pretty evil person - fighting for what she wanted.

The writing is great and I am told that this author is well known in the world of vampire novels. She is certainly very entertaning when it comes to historical fiction if she managed to keep my attention.

1 comment:

Mary (Bookfan) said...

Great review! I'm adding this to my TBR list. This author also wrote "I, Mona Lisa" which I really liked. I don't read a lot of historical fiction either but I would definitely read more from Ms. Kalogridis.

I also liked Pope Joan. I read it years ago and I see it's popular again (probably because the movie is due out soon).

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges