2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Sunday, September 27, 2009

REVIEW for Confessions of a First Daughter

Thank you! thank you to Melissa at HarperCollins for sending me this one! It was a huge treat to read!






TITLE: Confessions of a First Daughter

AUTHOR: Cassidy Calloway

GENRE: YA

RATING: 4 Stars


Confessions of a First Daughter was a great read! From the very first paragrahp where we are introduced to Morgan Abbott - the daughter of the President of the US, I fell in love with this character. I was refreshingly surprised! Author Calloway chose to make Morgan a very ordinary, likeable and extremely accident prone character - we get absolutely none of the bitchiness that one would expect to see out of the first child (or in this case Tornado) and I absolutely loved that.

Morgan is an ordinary teenager who is trying to win the school election, has a wonderful BF and a horrible (or is he?) boyfriend - sounds like a pretty typical teenager to me and to boot, she has a smokin Secret Service Agent who makes this story doubly more interesting.

I liked the writing which is always at a great clip and there is no wasted words on boring information and details that we don't know. I think Morgan's dad could have been fleshed out more (her mother also for that matter), but that is a minor comment in an otherwise great story.

The only other problem I had, and this one was bigger, is the subplot of Morgan "standing in" for her mother for a few hours - first of all, this did not wash at all with me and it, frankly, felt like a bit of a cheap story ploy that this book did not need at all - as the storyline of Morgan and her escapades stands very well on its own.

I am thrilled to see that this is book 1 of a series and I am psyched to read the following books.


1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

This does sound like a great book - I love the cover too!

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges