2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Thursday, September 17, 2009

REVIEW for Hollyhood

Thank you goes out to Deanna at HarperCollins Canada for sending me this great book!






TITLE: Hollyhood

AUTHOR: Valerie Joyner

GENRE: Fiction

RATING: 4 Stars



Reading Hollyhood reminded me of the books I use to read in the 80's when the subject matter focused intently on Hollywood and the inner workings of the studios, etc. Hollyhood is written from the point of view of a young African-American man who has made it big in the Hollywood studios - behind the scenes and behind the camera. Valerie Joyner has a good take on Hollywood and writes very, very well about the inside goings on of producing a successful tv show. As I was reading the table reading scene in the beginning of the book, I could almost feel as though I was there.

I love getting the "dirt" on what really goes on behind the scenes of my tv shows and Joyner pulls no punches as she shows us just how much BS there is going on. This book is extremely character driven and I have to say, at the beginning, I was a tad confused with all the players - who, thank goodness get clearer as the book develops. There is the pre-requisite amount of jealousy, sex, romances and what passes for schmoozing in Hollywood.

The storyline was a tad slow, it took the author a whole chapter to introduce us to the players, I felt as though it could have been hasten a little bit, yet, the storyline is compelling and interesting.

Its been a long time since I have read such a fun book on the Hollywood insiders and this book is an easy and fun read.


No comments:

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges