2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Thursday, October 15, 2009

REVIEW for Social Lives

Thank you to St-Martin's Press for sending me a copy of this book.





TITLE: Social Lives

AUTHOR: Wendy Walker

GENRE: FICTION

RATING: 4 Stars

When I was in my early 20's and 30's, I remember reading many novels featuring married women who were struggling with their lives - these novels often felt very involved to me and I remember i use to devour them. Then, along came chick lit and I deviated to reading mostly chick lit when it comes to women's fiction.

However, reading Social Lives reminded me just how much I enjoyed reading these types of books.

Indeed, Social Lives features quite a cast of characters, with a cornerstone on Roslyn, Caitlin, Sara and Jacqueline. Although Caitlin is still a teen, her life reflects many of the issues that her adult counterparts are facing - and I found it a very interesting "take" on the part of the author to include Caitlin in with these women.

Additionally, Social Lives does a great job of showcasing the fact that wealth and being happy truly have no connection as we can easily see that although these women have wealth (or at least perceived wealth) they are NOT happy and each has their own private hell.

I have often been told "do not compare your insides with someone else's outsides" and this is something that I was reminded of time and time again while reading this novel>

I really enjoyed reading about the lives of these women and it was a joy to go through all the emotions that they were living. The author does a wonderful job of soundly conveying their pain, joys and fears.

This was a very enjoyable read and I will be reading lots more Wendy Walker books in the future.


2 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Sounds like a great book that reminds you about what's important in life.

Donna said...

I've never heard that expression before (don't compare your insides with someone else's outsides). I'm not quite sure what it's referring to.

It sounds like an interesting read though - I liked your review, Tina.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges