2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Monday, January 11, 2010

REVIEW for Death Message


Harper Collins sent this book to me!! Thank you to them!









TITLE: Death Message

AUTHOR: Mark Billingham

GENRE: Thriller

RATING: 3 Stars



Although I believe that British chick lits (can you say Bridget Jones?) are always at the top of their game, I run hot and cold on British thrillers - with the exception of Mark Billingham - I like all of his books as he does not hesitate to write very dark, creepy and scary books.

Death Message rates somewhere in the between a 3 and 4 star review. One of the things I like about Billingham is that he never runs away from writing some somewhat gross and gruesome scenes - and he manages to do this without it being gratuitous somehow. Death Message does not really deliver this as much as in the previous books.

I like the basic premise - our returning character Detective Thom Thorne is back and he is getting "death messages" through his cell phone - with the killer sending him, at first, pictures of dead victims and progresses to sending him pictures of future victims. This, of course, triggers a massive manhunt for the killer - who we discover the identify of about 1/3 into the storyline. Maybe this is why the book was not quite as suspensful for me? not sure.

However, this book was still a good read and kept me entertained enough to stick it through

1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

Hm, I wonder why the killer was revealed so early in the book? It sounds like a page turner, except for that.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges