2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Friday, March 5, 2010

REVIEW for Save Big


Another big thank you goes out to Erika for sending me this book!







TITLE: Save Big
AUTHOR: Elisabeth Leamy

GENRE: Personal Finance
RATING: 4 Stars
Every year, at the beginning of the year, I like to read up on some great personal finance books - helps me keep my affairs in order, so this is why you will be seeing a few reviews for the top personal finance books in the next few weeks.
Save Big is actually a personal finance book aimed at 5 of the top items that cost the most - like cars and houses. There are lots of practical tips on how to save - without having to make huge sacrifices. The section on car buying was extremely interesting - as the author explains how simply buying a "less flamboyant" model of car can save you in the tens of thousands of dollars.
Another section that was interesting is the how to save big on the groceries. This is, for me, my biggest challenge as I don't seem to be able to cut down on my food spending, especially since I often eat organic or need to eat very specialized (read expensive) types of foods. The author gave me some helpful tips on how to save a few dollars here and I have been putting them to good use.
I also like that the author seems to understand how our need for "things" is often part of human nature so rather than deny it completely as many books suggest, she manages to help us buy these, but at a lower cost. I thoroughly enjoyed this book.

1 comment:

Donna said...

Nice review, Tina!

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges