2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

REVIEW for The Complete History of Why I Hate Her

I am very grateful to the author and publisher who so kindly sent me a copy of this book.




TITLE: The Complete History of Why
I Hate Her

AUTHOR: Jennifer Richard Jacbson

GENRE: YA

RATING: 3.5 Stars






I have to admit that at first, I found that the storyline was a little slow, however, I continued reading because a few blogger friends of mine had mentioned that this book would be "my" type of book. I am glad that I did.

Once I got pass the first chapter or so - which I now see was crucial to the storyline as an introduction of our character Nola and her family life, I found myself getting completely involved in Nola and her "hopes" for the summer. I immediately felt for her - it is obvious that what is going on at home, especially with her sister's illness is absolutely overwhelming her and all she wants is to be able to get away and live a "teenage summer".

Nola finds a job away from home, as a waitress, and immediately hooks up with a new friend Carly - and while, at first, things go well, it is obvious that Carly is not really the BFF that Nola hoped she would be.

The most fascinating aspect of this book is the interaction between the two girls - and specifically how Carly slowly starts to show her true character and how Nola tries to deal with it - or not. This book takes a harsh look at friendship and how it can be as dysfunctional a relationship as any other kind.

There is a love interest for Nola that acts as a bit of a trigger that sends Carly almost completely into the land of the sociopath, but other than that, I did not really care or connect all that much with the romance.

This book is about girls - and how they can be best of friends or the worse of ennemies - very, very scary.

The writing is very good and the pacing was great, most of the time. I am not someone who enjoys lots and lots off detail in my stories and, at times, Jacobson, could bog herself down a little bit, but then, she would pick up the pacing again which would put the storyline back on track.

I liked this one.

2 comments:

cindysloveofbooks said...

Tina isn't it the truth that girls can be the best of friends or the worst of enemies?

I enjoyed your review and happy that you stuck it through to read it.

bermudaonion said...

Sounds interesting. Girls can be loving and mean, that's for sure!

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges