2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Sunday, August 15, 2010

REVIEW for She's Gone Country


















Thank you to Brianne at Hachette Books for sending me this novel.

TITLE:                 She's Gone Country

AUTHOR:           Jane Porter

GENRE:              Chick Lit

RATING:             2 Stars

This is the second book I have read by Jane Porter. One of the reasons I keep trying to read her books is that a) she writes chick lit and b) so many seem to love her stuff.

Unfortunately, She's Gone Country is yet the second book that I struggled to get through. For some reason, Porter's writting feels almost fake to me somehow - as though her storylines are part "slapsticky" and part chick lit - it is kind of difficult to explain, but She's Gone Country is the perfect example.

The main character is starting over, trying to get her life together, in a totally different environment. The opening features a conversation between the character and her mother about church - the whole thing felt completely "staged" to me - and the book just goes on from there.

I just did not feel into any of the characters and the storyline just did not keep me interested in the least - not even the gorgeous and sexy (kind of standard) Dane....

I really did want to like this book because I know how popular this author is - but I just did not get into it at all.

3 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Sorry this didn't work for you.

Mary (Bookfan) said...

I really enjoyed it. Sorry it didn't work for you.

Laura at Library of Clean Reads said...

I,ve read two books lately that I really wanted to like but it just didn't work. Oh well, it happens.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges