2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Monday, December 13, 2010

REVIEW for Dancing with the Devil















Thank you to Simon & Schuster for sending me a copy of this book.


TITLE:                    Dancing with the Devil

AUTHOR:               Louis Diaz and Neal Hirschfeld


GENRE:                 True Crime

RATING:               4 Stars

I went through a period a long while ago when I read a ton of true crime stories - but got bored with it all because they all started to sound exactly the same.


Having said that, I wanted to read Dancing with the Devil because the story sounded intriguing and I was not disappointed.

Dancing with the Devil features Louis Diaz - this his story about growing in a rough part of New York where you learned how to survive on the street - which made you the perfect candidate for either side of the law - and Diaz chose the "right" side - he hunted criminals, especially tough Mafia guys.

The book is riveting. Diaz makes a likeable main character who describes his youth in minute detail clearly showing us how difficult and challenging growing up in that era and in that part of the world can be.

However, what works best, for me, was his retelling of his experiences dealing with the bad guys - with everything from guns to drugs and everything in between especially violence, violence and more violence.

It is truly amazing to me how Diaz managed to survive and I have to say, that while this book was compelling, I really, really admired the author.

1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

It does make you wonder why some people survive a childhood like that better than others, doesn't it? The book sounds great to me.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges