2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

REVIEW for Skinny



Thank you, thank you to the wonderful people at HarperCollins Canada for sending me a copy of this book to read and review.

TITLE:           Skinny

AUTHOR:      Diana Spechler

GENRE:         Novel

RATING:       3 Stars

Anyone who is a regular reader of my blog knows that I am intimately aware with anything that has to do with body image and eating isues.  This is why I jumped on the opportunity of reviewing the book Skinny.

Its going to be hard for me to review this book - why?  Because although I love the subject matter and most of the basic plotline of the book, I have to be totally honest in saying that I just could not get immersed into the story.

I think part of the reason, for me, is the writing style.  I have to admit that I am a lover of chick lit and the breezy style that comes along with that.   However, I can also read a straight up and serious type of book - as long as the writing is engaging.  Unfortunately, for me, Skinny did not fit either category. The writing on  Skinny felt a little too grandiose for the storyline it was trying to carry.  Even the passages that were destined to be funny or "tongue in cheek" were written in a way that felt too stiff and structured for my personal taste.

As I read this book, I kept thinking how this would be perfect for readers who love to read contemporary fiction with a literary twist to the writing.  I think this book would be perfect for those who enjoyed "She's come Undone" another novel about weight and body image that many people loved and I did not really enjoy.

Having said all of this, I have to mention that the author does an extremely good job of expressing body image issues and what is really going through many of our minds when it comes to food/body and the love/hate relationship we have.

Overall, this book was okay, but probably just not my cup of tea.


1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

I loved She's Come Undone, and I'm really looking forward to this one.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges