2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Monday, June 20, 2011

REVIEW for Never Sit Down in a Hoopskirt and Other Things I Learned in Southern Belle Hell

Thank you to Jennifer from Goodman Media for sending me this book.

TITLE:           Never Sit Down in a Hoopskirt and Other Things I Learned in Southern Belle Hell   

AUTHOR:      Crickett Rumley

GENRE:         Novel (chick litty)

RATING:       3.5 Stars
      


I have to admit that one of the reasons I wanted to read this book was because of its interesting cover and its interesting (if a little long) title.

I think what I loved most about this story was the sheer sillyness of it all - in that world of excesses - too much money and too much time to think.  Of course, the main character Jane is alot of fun and is the perfect protanogist to help us "poke"fun at just how silly those with money can be.

She brings us into the world of the "well off" who live by tradition, all the while completely losing touch with the real world and, as I read some of these passages, I found myself laughing but also shaking my head at the sheer stupidity of some of it.  Yet, the author does a great job of writing a novel that takes a very honest and clear look at a world that very few of us actually ever get to witness, much less live in.

Funny, silly and completely engaging, I did like this novel.  So, why the 3.5 stars?  At times, I found myself skipping passages because I thought there was a tad too much detail - which is something that I truly hate in my novels.  Otherwise, a great read.

1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

Sounds like a great beach read!

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges