2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Monday, September 5, 2011

REVIEW for Tout Sweet, Hanging Up my High Heels for a New Life in France

Thank you to Sourcebooks for sending me a copy of this book to read and review.

TITLE:                   Tout Sweet, Hanging Up my High Heels for a New Life in France

AUTHOR:              Karen Wheeler

GENRE:                 Memoir

RATING:                3 Stars

I love reading these types of books - those that make you feel as though anything is possible, if only you are willing to think outside the box and take a chance.

While I have never been particularly attracted to France as a destination, I am also quite amazed by the number of people who seem to settle there.  Maybe its because I can speak French every day of my life, but the whole French thing is kind of over for me.  Nonetheless, I have to admit that France always makes a great background for these types of books, once, of course, I have passed the point of thinking "how can they afford to go and live there?".

Tout Sweet (love the clever title) is fun to read.  The description of France and all of its glory is very obvious in the storyline.  However, for me, this story fell flat and I think it is because of the writing style.  I just found it uneventful and kind of boring.  While I am not a big fan of lots and lots of detail and an even lesser fan of flowery prose, I think this book could have used a bit of that. 

The writing just could not keep me interested which was a shame because I know the author had an entertaining tale to tell.

3 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I've lived in France, so I know it's not as glamorous as authors make it seem, but I still love to read about it. This book appeals to me.

Laura at Library of Clean Reads said...

This one got mixed reviews. Thanks for passing it on to me. I will probably read it just before I take my vacation to Europe next year.

Jennifer | Mrs Q Book Addict said...

I still have to read this one. I think I'm going to have to be in the mood for it.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges