2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

REVIEW for Blink of An Eye

Thank you to the people at Tor/Forge for sending me this book.

TITLE:             Blink of an Eye

AUTHOR:        William S. Cohen

GENRE:           Thriller

RATING:          4 Stars

Reading thrillers is always tricky for me as I have become very, very picky.  The good news and what interested me about this book was that it was written by Former Secretary of Defense William Cohen.

In fact, you can readily see the "insider" point of view throughout the entire plotline of this book.  I was a tad surprised, however, at a few things.  First, the author chooses to "plant" a nuclear device in Savannah, Georgia - really?  Savannah?  I guess, depending on how you look at it, that is either a very clever plot twist or a very weird one and I could not really figure out which one.  On the other hand, it was nice to have some catastrophe set in an entirely different part of the US - I guess New York and LA have been done "to death".

Secondly, I was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked the main character Sean Falcone.  I even loved his name.  He came across as someone with integrity, who has the country's best interest at heart, all the while being a normal type of person.  Unfortunately, when it comes to thrillers, authors, in some cases, tend to "make" their heroes into some kind of superhero and this did not happen here - thankfully.

The writing, for the most part, is quickly paced, although the first chapter could have been a little bit more engaging.  I did persist, however, and I am thrilled that I did as this book turned out to be a page turner - with an ending that I did not actually predict.

Loved this book.  A very entertaining read that kept me alert, engrossed and wondering what was going to happen next.

No comments:

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges