2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Sunday, March 4, 2012

REVIEW for Lovetorn

Thank you, thank HarperCollins Canada for sending me a copy of this book.

TITLE:                     Lovetorn


AUTHOR:               Kavita Daswani


GENRE:                  YA

RATING;                3.5 Stars



http://www.harpercollins.ca/books/Lovetorn-Kavita-Daswani?isbn=9780061673115&HCHP=TB_Lovetorn


Okay, writing a review for this book is going to be more difficult than I thought.  There were parts of this book that I loved and others that left me a little dry.  The other issue I had with the book was that I was hoping for a little bit more humor. 


The storyline is engaging, as we meet Shalini who is just coming into the US to live with her immediate family - from India.  Needless to say, the "culture shock" is huge and is explored very well and with sensitivity by the author.  Of course, this main focus also offers up a myriad of golden opportunities for some wonderful dialogue and exchanges were we can clearly see just how different the two cultures are.

I also like that this novel focuses heavily on family - which means a depressed mom a dad who is somewhat clueless and a boyfriend left behind (arranged marriage).

What did not work as well for me is, as mentioned, the lack of humor throughout the storyline.  I don't know why I was hoping for more, except to say that I wanted Shalini to have some fun, to be a young girl falling in love.

1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

It sounds like the book has a lot to offer even if it lacks humor.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges