2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Thursday, June 21, 2012

REVIEW for DEVINE INTERVENTION


Thank you to Scholastic Canada for sending me this book.


TITLE:        Devine Intervention

AUTHOR:  Martha Brockenbrough

GENRE:      YA

RATING:  

For those who read my blog regularly, you are no doubt aware that I am not big on reading anything that remotely touches on the undead.  I like my plotlines (and my characters) to actually be alive and in the present moment and, for the most part, I have stuck by my ‘rule’.

Having said this, however, Divine Intervention was suggested to me as a great read.  Since I was looking for something different, I thought I would give it a try.  

I am so happy that I decided to read this YA novel.  Oh my god, it is so funny and I fell, fell in love with both Heidi and Jerome.

Basically, Heidi hears voices – actually one voice – that of her Guardian Angel Jerome, who happens to be ‘in training’.  This means that Jerome, while having the best of intentions is often misguided and a little confused, which, of course, leads Heidi into some impossible situations both real and imagined? (don't want to give away any spoilers here!).

While the story sounds cute, there is a lot of subplot going on here, mainly with messages that come through loud and clear.  Guardian Angels is a concept that has always kind of fascinated me in an abstract way.  I love the idea of having someone who watches over you and I thought this was a wonderful touch to this novel.  

The relationship that develops between Heidi and Jerome is actually quite touching in a way, as both are struggling to figure out their paths with uncertainty and fear touting at every turn.

What can I say, I loved this story.

2 comments:

bermudaonion said...

When you enjoy a book outside your comfort zone so much, you know it's special.

I see you have your BEA 2013 counter up already!

sharon said...

Yay Tina! My kind of read, and you read it...lol. Im glad you enjoyed it.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges