2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Sunday, January 3, 2016

REVIEW for Big Girl




Thank you, thank you so much to Kaitlin at Hachette Book Group Canada for sending me a copy of this book.

TITLE:               Big Girl

AUTHOR:           Kelsey Miller

GENRE:             Memoir


RATING:            

I really, really wanted to read this book. I am always interested in reading other people's views and emotions when it comes to this very difficult topic. I have also, of late, focused my interests in the whole diet - anti diet industry, firmly coming to believe, as Kelsey Miller has, that DIETS DO NOT WORK - at least for me they don't, in fact they have made my life harder.

This is basically the topic explored by the author in her memoir. I LOVED THIS. Imagine, having the guts to write your own life story and coming right out and saying "I don't want to diet anymore". It takes guts and courage and to me, this is the strength of this memoir.

Miller is funny, sad and brutally honest! I am not sure if I fully agree with everything she writes, i.e. I have some concerns that she does not acknowledge eating disorders for example and at times, this book feels a little disconnected when it comes to Miller writing about the other aspects of her life, but, for the most part, she is spot on (IMO) about the damage the dieting cycle has done and continues to do. 

I purchased the book she refers to "Intuitive Eating" because she makes a great case for it, although she does have outside help, she does own up to the fact that being more intuitive about every aspect of her life can be both great and scary at the same time and can bring up a lot of unwanted emotions.

As I mentioned, the memoir gets a 4 star when it comes to her descriptions and views about dieting (her own and the entire industry) and perhaps a 3 star for the other aspects of her book. Nonetheless, this story is written with humour, honesty and is, in fact, very engaging.
      

No comments:

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges