2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Saturday, April 9, 2016

REVIEW FOR The Vanishing Velazquez








Thank you to the wonderful people at Simon & Schuster for sending me a copy of this book.

TITLE:           The Vanishing Velazquez

AUTHOR:      Laura Cumming


GENRE:         Non fiction


RATING:        4 Stars


I loved, loved this book.

I am a lover of first edition books, so I can absolutely see how Snare could become obsessed with this Velazquez and needed to get to the "bottom" of the discovery of this masterpiece.

Somehow, history, the good and the bad, has a way of grabbing us and not letting go and this highly well researched and detailed book shows us just how consumed we can be with the past, at the mercy of our present.

In the process, I learned so much from this book and from that time period, as well as a lot on the art form - all things that I had not really considered in the past.

The writing can be a little confusing at times, which made me sit down and truly concentrate on what I was reading and I do admit that at times, there was just TOO much information, but overall, this book was "the word that comes to mind is" LYRICAL in many ways, scary in some ways and highly entertaining in all ways.

No comments:

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges