2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

REVIEW for The Cabin




Thank you Sourcebooks Fire for sending me an e-galley of this book.

TITLE:                The Cabin

AUTHOR:           Natasha Preston


GENRE:              YA


RATING:
          


The Cabin wasn't what I expected.  For one thing, most of the book takes place away from the cabin.  I was hoping for much more time spent there, building up the tension -you know sort of a bit like the Friday the 13th movies, where most of the action happens right on the premises.

Once I got over my initial expectations, I enjoyed this book and didn't want to put it down, which is why I rated this a 4 star.

I truly did not know who was guilty of what until the very end - I kept *thinking* I did, but I was kind of always wrong LOL, so that made me truly enjoy reading this story.  

What I liked:

-  the main character is smart and loyal and I do like how she is ready to stand by her friends;
-  the writing style is fun.  I like that her writing is down to earth, not too weirdly flowery (which I despise);
-   Blake is by far, the most interesting character and he was the one I wanted to see more fleshed out;
-    The twists were good and I truly did not figure out who did it;
-   Although vulgarity does not bother me, it was nice that the author crafted an interesting story without the need for any unnecessary sex scenes or language;
-   I did find myself engrossed in the story and for me that is always the most important thing.

What I didn't like:

-   You have to suspend your disbelief, up to a point, if you are going to enjoy this;  
-    The reasons disclosed for "what happened" felt flimsy to me - this needed to have more meat on the bones - I didn't buy it;
-    It bugged me that although all the characters were over 18, not one of them even had a summer job - its like they all had nothing to do except drink and hide secrets - not credible;

Overall though, this was a good story.

No comments:

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges