2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Monday, September 21, 2020

BOOK REVIEW for Fulness, a Memoir by Azure Moyna






TITLE:         FULLNESS, A MEMOIR

AUTHOR:    AZURE MOYNA

GENRE:      MEMOIR

RATING:     5 STARS

What an amazing read.

Eating disorders are truly misunderstood. Society continues to strongly associate lack of willpower with weight gain and fat shaming continues to be a very real thing. Some of the strongest people I know have been brought to their knees, including myself, by this disease.

The author does an excellent job of bringing us on a journey into her mind, while she discovers that a) there is a name for what she lives with every day and that she is not "the only one" living it and b) she is left to navigate this whole thing without much support from anyone, including her husband (who I never get a good handle on).

It's interesting, to me, that initially Azure doesnt see that binge eating is only a symptom of a much larger and complex issue. All she wants is quick weight loss, thinking that this will solve all her problems....it won't.

An eating disorder is usually the result of a massive trauma in your life, which this book explores, via Azure's weekly therapy sessions.

This book is both sad and hopeful and it is written with a brutal honesty, that brought up a lot of feelings for me.

The author and I share many views on this subject matter and Azure's description of obsessing over food, in her refrigerator, felt all too real.

This book explains quite well what an eating disorder does to your body and to your mind. It also looks at self-isolation and at all the bad choices you make, in the name of losing weight.

However, as we go further into the story, I do admit, I got annoyed, several times, with Azure's constant crying. It got old very fast and it was too much. The scene where they go to a party and everyone is having fun, except Azure who insists she needs to "talk/cry to her husband, at that exact moment, made me want to scream at her. Crying never solves issues (seriously, stop crying).

As I write the above sentence, I am remembering Azure's horrible family life and ask myself how I would have coped with parents that were basically egotistical and pretty useless.

Compulsive eating is a disease born out of trauma and as a friend of mine once told me..."it is also a disease of "more".

I read this book in basically 3 days and it is an honest and raw look at a disease that few people want to admit exists.

Wonderfully written, I admire Azure for writing this book.

Loved this so much.
 

No comments:

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges