2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Sunday, March 6, 2022

BOOK REVIEW for My Friend Anna by Rachel DeLoache Williams





TITLE:                My Friend Anna

AUTHOR:           Rachel DeLoache Williams

GENRE:              True Crime/ Memoir

RATING:             5 stars

I first read this book long before Netflix's "Inventing Anna" and have since then reread it.

reread this book because when I originally read it, I had just had open heart surgery and did not feel as though I could appreciate the story properly, not to mention the fact that I would wake up to find that I had fallen asleep in mid-read (nothing to do with the book being boring).

I am still amazed by this whole story. Of course, as soon as I started reading, I immediately thought "what would I have done in Rachel's place?"

I think, since I am a lot more suspicious of people, I would have picked up on the weirdness and the clues earlier than Rachel did and I would not have second guessed myself, even after it was obvious that Anna was not who she said she was. But it is easy for me to say this, while sitting in my living room.

Yes, Rachel is the victim, there is no denying that. Having said that, I can't stop thinking that part of the issue here is that the author's love of her "Sex and the City" lifestyle set her up perfectly. and Anna used it to her advantage. Most people, even in New York, do NOT bar hop every night after work or go to expensive restaurants at the drop of a hat, I don't think.

Rachel was successful and already had the magical paid trips, via Vanity Fair and she experienced lots of wonderful events through her job, yet, Anna managed to find her way in. That is scary.

Anna had absolutely no shame, no qualms....even when she was pursued. and "the gig" was up. I would never have been able to enjoy my trip or my hotel stays, knowing that anyone could intercept me at any time and demand payment. Just the shame of it would have made me crawl into a hole.

I am sure there are a bunch of psychological names for what is wrong with Anna, but just the fact that people like that exist, freaks me out.

As for the book, it gives us a very clear image of what Rachel went through.  She writes it well and is honest.  The book is "friendly" to read and I basically could not put it down. Both times.

1 comment:

cindysloveofbooks said...

Tina, did you end up watching it on NetFlix? At first, I didn't realize there was a book and now I want to read it. This was talked about on Dr. Phil recently as well. I am very much like you and I think I would have picked up on all this weirdness from "Anna"

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges