2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Friday, November 27, 2009

REVIEW for The Bicycle Diaries

Thank you goes out to Penguin Group Canada for sending me this charming and wonderful book!






TITLE: Bicycle Diaries

AUTHOR: David Byrne

GENRE: Memoir/Travel

RATING: 4 Stars



When I lost my job last April and found myself with a whole summer ahead of me, I decided to do something that I had been thinking about for a while! I bought myself a bike ( a little blue one actually) and ever since then, I discovered the joys of riding my bike everywhere! This is why the Bicycle Diaries caught my eye and I was eager to read it.

What a little gem of a book! I had vaguely heard of David Byrne but he was never really someone that interested me - until I discovered just how artistic and sensitive he actually is. The Bicycle Diaries is a loving memoir about enjoying the freedom (for the most part) of bicycling - what a joy to be able to pedal your way through different towns and cities and to discover some of their secrets, cultures and little quirks - all the while getting some healthy exercise AND not ruining the environment. Byrne explores many, many cities (the good the bad and the ugly) in this loving memoir of what it is like to discover a new place.

His writing is sensitive, funny and always, always poignant. You can tell that this was a labor of love for him. I also loved the pictures that are (black and white) throughout the book (how that house can still stand is beyond me!).

I enjoyed David's thoughtful comments - his perspectives and his spiritual look (in some cases) at the heart and soul of the cities and towns he visited.

Loved this book.

1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

Riding your bike to explore towns sounds delightful, but it just wouldn't work in most places in the US, I'm sad to say. The book sounds like a treat!

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges