2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

REVIEW for Mr. Darcy Broke My Heart


A thank you goes out to Phenix & Phenix literary publicists for sending this book to me!







TITLE: Mr. Darcy Broke My Heart

AUTHOR: Beth Pattillo
GENRE: Contemporary Fiction

RATING: 4 Stars
First of all, I have to say that I really thought this book had a beautiful cover! Having said that, this is not my usual type of book. I prefer my books to be alot more chick lit type, but I found the theme interesting and I like the whole concept of perhaps "finding the right guy" when you least expect it - especially if you are reading Jane Austen at the time you meet him.
This contemporay fiction novel features a very likeable main character in Claire Prescott. She finds herself having to go to a Jane Austen seminar in England and frankly, she would prefer not to be there. As it usually the case (at least in books) as soon as you are somewhere you don't want to be, something major happens - and in this case, two "something major" happens. She meets her potential "Mr. Darcy" and she ends up with the original of Pride of Prejudice.
While I enjoy romance as much as the next person, I have to say that what gripped me was the whole original manuscript theme. As a booklover, I have spent many a moments daydreaming about what it would be like to discover an unpublished work from a deceased author or even what it would feel like to have the original document they actually held in their own hands!!!
I thoroughly enjoyed the fact that the author mixes a bit of everything in her storyline. Love, humour and alot of unanswered questions.
This was a good read, even if it wasn't chick lit :)

3 comments:

Wall-to-wall books said...

Yes, the cover is beautiful!
But, yeah, not my "type" of book.

bermudaonion said...

I tried one Jane Austen re-telling and it didn't do much for me. So many people just love them, though. I may think about this book.

Lori Johnston said...

I read Beth Pattillo's "Jane Austen Ruined My Life" and thoroughly enjoyed it. I will definitely be looking for this one.

Thanks for the heads up and the great review.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges