2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Sunday, February 14, 2010

REVIEW for Checkout

A big thank you goes out to author Anna Sam for sending me a copy of her book!


TITLE: Checkout

AUTHOR: Anna Sam

GENRE: Memoir

RATING: 4 Stars



I love reading books written by people who share their experiences while working at a particular job. Checkout by Anna Sam is exactly this type of book. I am always amazed at all the behind the scenes "goings on" in a particular job or field. I mean, I see people working in the supermarket every day and, to be honest, never really gave alot of thought to all that goes behind making a "good cashier". Its like I go to the store and miraculously "poof" someone is there to help me. So, I absolutely loved reading about the stuff that goes on that the average customer never gets to see, hear or experience.

Author Anna Sam does a fine job of telling us, without too many boring details, the finer (and less fine) ins and outs of working on the checkout counter. She is very witty and each experience is written with a healthy dose of dry humor which works perfectly with the stories she is sharing.

The only thing I had a bit of an issue with is the non-continuation of the storyline. Sam jumps from one experience to the next without much of a set up and it always took me a few seconds to get into the next story (or chapter) - still, this proved to be a funny, entertaining and oh my god! I will look at my supermarket people totally differently from now on - type of read.


1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

When you work with people and it involves money, there's always going to be a good story to tell. Sounds like an interesting book.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges