2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Friday, March 12, 2010

REVIEW for 90-Day Geisha


A big thank you to author Chelsea Haywood for sending this book to me!
TITLE: 90-Day Geisha
AUTHOR: Chelsea Haywood

GENRE: Memoir
RATING: 4 Stars
Even before I started reading 90-Day Geisha, I obviously knew that I wasn't about to read a "fine" classic. That's fine with me - not every book has to be written "for the rest of time". As a matter of fact, I love reading a book about someone else's experiences - especially if these are experiences that I will never, ever live myself. This book qualifies. I had heard many weird things about Tokyo over the years - how basically they live quite differently than we do and, in the process, look at things in a very different view.
I suppose this is why I was not remotrely shocked or surprised by this storyline. So, the author wanted to try an experiment? okay, it is a little out there for most of us, but to each their own and I am happy that she wrote a book about it. Certainly, it takes some kind of courage to do what this author did - I can't imagine how she could have truly survived it, but I think that she does a great job of telling us how it felt and what she experienced through it all.
I knew that things are different in Tokyo - but wow! some of the people she meets are truly weird and/or scary. I suppose it would be somewhat predictable that she would fall into the "millieu" she spent so much time in - and the part of the book that felt the most real to me is the part where she talks about her downfall into that world.
I thoroughly enjoyed this read, I thought it took guts to do what she did and then more guts to write about it.

2 comments:

Wall-to-wall books said...

Wow, this book sounds very very interesting! I could probably use it for one of my country reads (12 countries in 12 months). I have books lined up for the next few countries, but I will have to think about this one! Thanks!

bermudaonion said...

I love memoirs too, and this sounds like one I'd like. Glad you enjoyed it.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges