2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Thursday, March 25, 2010

REVIEW for Beautiful People

Thank you to Danielle at Sourcebooks for sending this book to me!

TITLE: Beautiful People

AUTHOR: Wendy Holden

GENRE: Chick lit (sort of)

RATING: 3 Stars

I use to read all of Holden's books - as soon as they were released, but over the course of the last years her books have become more of a "hit and miss" thing for me and Beautiful People falls somewhere in the middle.

First, I have to say that I love the cover (yes! i am a cover person) it was extremely eye catching.

As for the storyline, it was okay. The stories features three main female characters who, at first glance, don't seem to have much in common. Particularly Emma -especially if we factor in "Belle". However, when all 3 characters come together, you actually start to see some basic character similarities especially between Darcy (the up and coming star) and Belle (the on her way down star). There are also the requisite love interest - and a lot of talk about food.

The storyline was good and engaging and you can definitely find the trademark "Holden" humor, but I have to say that this book was way too long and it was mainly due to long and drawn out descriptions about food. While I don't mind reading about food, this book felt as though it was being "padded" with these details - and, at times, there was so much of it, that it removed from the main storyline - I felt distracted - especially when I was expected to get dragged away from a good plot moment - to read about food.

Having said that however, you can tell that this is a Wendy Holden book - the characters are well drawn out and are fun to read - and the book is still loaded with great "chick lit" moments.

Overall, a 3 star book.



5 comments:

Wall-to-wall books said...

OK, so I just wanted you to know...
I ordered about 10 YA books from the library (to check out for the read-a-thon)and I chose them all right off your blog! So thanks!

bermudaonion said...

I don't like overly descriptive books either, but I sure do love that cover!

Tina said...

Wendy - I am dying to find out which books you selected can you share?! let me know if your reviews match mine :)

Ng said...

I quite liked this, too. The American cover is beautiful, you're right!

Library Cat said...

I am a cover person too! Sometimes "chic lit" is exactly what I need to read - about people who are fun, or have a problem, and are well defined. Sounds like her books might be good.
Please visit my meme
Sunday Sidelines

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges