2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

REVIEW for Princess for Hire

A huge, huge thank you goes out to author Lindsey Leavitt for sending me a copy of her new book!!!








TITLE: Princess for Hire

AUTHOR: Lindsey Leavitt

GENRE: YA

RATING: 4 Stars

Tradtionally, I am not very big on reading books that contain any type of "magical" powers. However, I was totally intrigued by this book from the first time I read the brief description AND I loved, loved the beautiful and eye catching pink cover. So, I thought I would give it a shot and try it.

I am so happy that I did. First of all, where this story could have been incredibly corny, author Lindsey Leavitt manages to detour this by making this novel absolutely hilarious and touching and absolutely enchanting. Our main character Desi is pretty bored of her everyday life - will she ever really get to live and maybe make it to the "big city"? Well, Desi is about to discover what the saying "watch what you ask for" really means. For some reason, when Desi applies "Royal Rouge" - which is an ancient formula from Egypt - she can instantly become (physically anyway) any princess in the world - therefore making her the perfect substitute for all the princesses out there who don't want to or can't attend/commit or do something that they should be doing. Wow! a dream come true. Desi will get to "be" someone glamourous and wear beautiful clothes. However, the reality is far from so romantic and perfect.

Desi will come to realize that perhaps her regular life with her regular friends may not be that bad. Apparently, the grass really isn't all that greener on the other side.

Yes, while there is a lesson being learnt here (and I, for one, keep forgetting that the other side of anything is not always better) it is done with such humour and grace that the whole storyline just flows beautifully. There is romance, love, humour and a touch of "snide" that is perfect.

This novel has found a perfect tone and I loved it.

2 comments:

bermudaonion said...

This does sound like it would make you think. I love the title and the cover too!

Donna said...

Sounds like fun, Tina. Great review!

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges