2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Sunday, May 30, 2010

REVIEW for The Opposite of Me

A big, big thank you goes out to Anneliese at Simon & Schuster Canada for sending me this great book!


TITLE: The Opposite of me

AUTHOR: Sarah Pekkanen

GENRE: Contempory fiction

RATING: 4 stars





Sibling rivalry, expectations and "being perfect" are the main themes in The Opposite of Me - oh! did I forget to mention a healthy dose of humor? Alex and Lindsay are twins and somehow, from a very young age, they picked up very specific labels - "the pretty one" and " the smart one" and it appears as though you can't be both at the same time.

Of course, as they age, their perfect labels start to peel away - leaving us with two sisters who slowly, but surely start to find out alot more about themselves and each other. While this book is not chick lit, it is not an overly burdened book trying to send its message, but rather a story that has been written and created to make me, as well as the other readers, ask ourselves some questions - such as why am I the way I am? and why do other people seem to feel the need to pigeonhole me? In fact, why is it that we seem to pick up these labels along the way - and we end up feeling like failures if we don't live up to all the various expectations that are put upon us by society AND ourselves.

I loved the way the author writes her story - exploring some common themes, but doing it in a sassy manner, that makes the book a terrific and fun read. At times, I liked and disliked both characters, but found myself devouring the book to find out what happens next, I am thrilled to have read this book and suggest it as a great beach read.

2 comments:

Marie said...

Nice review. I have this book, too. It sounds good. I'll have to move it closer to the top of the to-be-read pile. Thanks!

bermudaonion said...

I finished this book while I was in New York and I really enjoyed it too!

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges