2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Thursday, July 22, 2010

REVIEW for Promises to Keep













A big thank you to the wonderful people at Penguin books for sending me a copy of this book!
TITLE:       Promises to Keep

AUTHOR:  Jane Green

GENRE:     Contemporary Fiction

RATING:    3 Stars 

I have read each and every Jane Green book ever written - way before it was "fashionable" to read her books and I think this is the problem.



Green started her writing career with chick lit novels that were absolutely brilliant (Jemima J.) but, somewhere along the line, she took a detour into writing contemporary women's fiction and although I have religiously read all of these - I just don't find myself "in love" with the storylines.


In Promises to Keep, Green tackles a difficult and timely subject matter -fatal illness. This alone managed to make me dislike the storyline - I am NOT a big fan of reading about illness. However, to Green's credit, she turns a potentially depressing read into an uplifting one. However, having said this, I still found that the storyline completely over powers the characters, leaving me feel a little bit cheated.


I am starting to seriously believe that I am not the right target audience for Jane Green's newer stuff. Her writing is always tip top, but I think I am still living in the past, when she ruled the chick lit world and I really, really miss it.

Overall, this one was okay, but if you want to see just how talented this author truly is - purchase any of her first 3 books!

1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

I've never read any of Green's work, but you've convinced me that I need to read the old stuff.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges