2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Thursday, December 2, 2010

REVIEW for Keep the Change


















Thank you to the wonderful people at Harper Collins Canada for sending me a copy of this book!

TITLE:             Keep the Change

AUTHOR:        Steve Dublanica

GENRE:           Memoir

RATING:         3 Stars


I fell in love with this author’s first book and thought it was hilarious. It is always truly amazing to me to see just how “the real” work actually operates and I love getting all these “hush” “hush” inside secrets about trades that I know nothing about – such as the waitress/waiter profession.



In Keep the Change, the author tackles a similar subject, but with a wider view – instead of it being about (mostly) his own experiences, he broadens his horizons to include the world of tipping in general with some interesting anecdotes that are quite engrossing.

In fact, that is what I truly enjoy reading when I find myself with this type of book and, unfortunately, at times, the author manages to make his book sound more like some kind of dissertation paper on the subject matter – instead of relying on a good old formula that worked so well in the first book.

Where the first book made me feel like a voyeur, privy to some great stories, this second one makes me feel as though I am reading a research paper. This is not to say that there aren’t some great tidbits, but overall, I have to admit to being a bit disappointed with this one.










1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

Aw, too bad. My first job ever was waiting tables so I know about tipping from both side of the equation. I've been looking forward to this book.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges