2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Friday, January 20, 2012

REVIEW for Love & Leftovers

Once again, a big thank you goes out to Harper Collins Canada for sending me a copy of this book.

TITLE:              Love & Leftovers

AUTHOR:        Sarah Tregay

GENRE:           YA

RATING:          3 Stars



http://www.harpercollins.ca/books/Love-and-Leftovers-Sarah-Tregay?isbn=9780062023582&HCHP=TB_Love+and+Leftovers 

I have to start his review off by admitting that I am not a fan of free verse and this book is entirely free verse.

Having said that and in the spirit of challenging myself with versatility in my reading, I tried, once again, to enjoy this type of writing.

What I did love about this book:  Marcie - the main character is someone I enjoyed.  She is a YA, but is quite aware of who she is and what she needs and what she is looking for, although, of course, with her limited years of experience, she may not have chosen the best methods to get it!

This book is also honest - about sexuality and how it affects women as well as men. So, if you are someone who offends easily, don`t read this one - while it is not explicit, there is a focus on the subject matter.

I also liked the diversity between the main characters two love interests and how she works her way through it.

However, I still can`t quite get pass the free verse method which, to me, is toooooo slow.  I keep wanting to say 'oh, just say what you want to say and stop waxing poetic'. 

So, I have to rate this book a 3 star because I am just not the right target audience, but I bet that someone who enjoys this format would rate this storyline much higher.

1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

I've come to love free verse, so I'll have to look for this book.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges