2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Sunday, April 8, 2012

REVIEW for Farewell, Titanic

Thank you so much to the wonderful people at John Wiley & Sons Canada for sending me a copy of this book.


April 14, 2012 will mark the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic.  So, in April, I will be reviewing a few books on Titanic, books that have been released to remember the event.  I don't know why Titanic has left such an impression on me - but I find myself drawn to the subject.


TITLE:         Farewell, Titanic Her Final Legacy


AUTHOR:   Charles Pellegrino


GENRE:      Non fiction

RATING:    4 Stars



Reading this book, by author Charles Pellegrino) is actually kind of like viewing Titanic through the lens of a minibot - and this, of course, has alot to do with the fact that Pellegrino was actually part of the James Cameron expedition to Titanic - as they were making the documentary Ghost of the Abyss - which is an excellent and very spooky movie detailing the "old" Titanic against the wreck that now stands at the bottom of the sea.


Because of this contribution, Pellegrino has been able to write a close up, first hand account both emotional and factual about what was right in front of his eyes.   


His writing is extremely detailed and engrossing - even when he is talking about underwater wildlife (which made my spine shiver).  Can you imagine the beautiful light fixtures on Titanic are now, as we speak, alive and growing?  creepy and very, very sad.


This book is loaded with information - some of it old and some of it new. Pellegrino spends considerable amounts of time sifting through the truth and the myths and  proposes scenarios, based on evidence, that feel and ring very true.


I loved this book although it did make me feel sad and uncomfortable at times.

3 comments:

Wall-to-wall books said...

Yes, I believe it would make you sad and uncomfortable at times! The whole Titanic thing scares the crap out of me! Because of that I will never be able to on a cruise. I would never be able to relax enough and forget enough to enjoy it.

bermudaonion said...

I just read a Titanic book too, and it made me kind of sad.

Laura at Library of Clean Reads said...

I'm fascinated by stories of the Titanic too, especially after we went to see the exhibition in Las Vegas. It was sobering and awesome at the same time.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges