2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Friday, February 21, 2014

REVIEW for Better off Friends


A thank you goes out to the wonderful Nikole at Scholastic Canada for sending me a copy of this book.


TITLE:              Better of Friends

AUTHOR:        Elizabeth Eulberg

GENRE:          YA

RATING:        

I enjoy a bit of a love/hate relationship with this author.  She has written some of my favorite books but I have also found some other books not to my liking, but the plot sounded interesting for Better of Friends, so I was excited to read it.

First, I have to say that because of things in my own life, I have always been curious about friendships that start when you are young - basically I look back on my own life and wonder why certain friendships were sustained in adulthood and why others were not.

Levi and Macallan are fun and they are very comfortable together, as friends.  

Told in alternating voices (a method I am never fond of) we are along for the ride as both Levi and Macallan work through their relationship in their own ways.  I will admit that the he said/she said sort of works here because it gives us an up to date view of how each feels about a particular event or situation as it occurs.

It was fun to read about the male/female point of views as well and I kept wondering - wouldn't it be great if we could get a running commentary on our own lives just like in the book.

I loved that we get to see these two mature, discover and realize a variety of things in their lives, without losing sight of the importance of the other one.

Destiny will always have the last word, btw.

1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

I've only read a couple of Eulberg's books and I loved both of them so I want to get my hands on this one!

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges