2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

REVIEW for Far from You







Thank you to the wonderful people at Hachette Book Group Canada and NetGalley for giving me a copy of this ebook to review.

TITLE:          Far From you

AUTHOR:    Tess Sharpe

GENRE:       YA

RATING:    
     

I love YA novels that are edgy, honest and raw and this book was all of that and more.  

This debut novel opens with Sophie doing she needs to do to get back to the real world and solve the one and only thing that is on her mind - finding her friend's killer.  To say that Sophie has had a rough life to date is understating it considering she has almost died twice and the last time, she witnessed a horrific site her friend being killed.

There is a lot going on in this book and the format which details Sophie's life before the murder and after can get confusing in the beginning.  Fortunately, once I got into the groove and started following the characters and the story, things got much easier.

I like Sophie's determination, despite having been dealt a rough life.  Because of her past, she has developed an addiction, which I am not remotely surprised at considering her tendency to go overboard in many ways and yes, Sophie can seem spoiled at times, which was especially true in the opening chapter, but I found myself rooting for her, even if, at times, I did not fully trust her myself.

There are several interesting people around Sophie, the least of which I believe to be her parents. I could not form a constant opinion of them as they also seemed out of bounds at times.

On the surface, the story is about solving a murder, but honestly, it is about so much more.  This book has layer over layer and our job, as the reader, is to uncover these layers.

An excellent book.  I loved it.

1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

I like books like this too! I'm glad to see YA getting away from dystopia a little.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges