2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Monday, June 29, 2015

REVIEW for What Pretty Girls are Made Of


Thank you to Susannah @ Vpublicrelations and Theresa @ Simon&Schuster for giving me the opportunity of reading this book.

TITLE:         What Pretty Girls are Made of

AUTHOR:     Lindsay Jill Roth


GENRE:       Chick Lit /Fiction

RATING:      


As you may have noticed, I actually classified this in the chick lit genre and for those of you who may be upset by this, I say "get over it".  I am a huge, huge lover of chick lit and to me, the designation of chick lit is a compliment.  Unfortunately, there are too few books written in this genre now and chick lit has gotten a very bad wrap for no reason.

Having said all of that (rant over) I am thrilled that Roth chose to write a book that "dares" to go down this road.  Actually, I should rephrase that by saying "I am glad she wrote a great chick lit book".  I have read my share of horrible chick lit and I am happy to report that this one is wonderful.

This book has been compared to "The Devil Wears Prada" and while I see why they would use this comparison, I actually liked this book more than I did "Devil".  I think this is mainly because the character of Alison Kraft was more defined to me.  By that, I mean that I actually really connected with her from the first paragraph.

I thought Roth did a fantastic job of fleshing out her character - right down to the introspection that makes her want to do more, to discover more about life, once she realizes that she is not happy where she is.  This character spoke to me throughout the book - especially when she finds herself, thrilled, scared and passionate - all at the same time.

The descriptions of what it is like to live in the world of "cosmetics" with people searching to become somebody they wish they were,  made me feel as though i was right in the middle of that glamorous???? world and wow! let's hear it for a a bunch of insecure and unhappy people.

The love story was okay, but for me, this book is about Alison and the situations she finds herself in - either by design of sheer fluke.

Well written, although, at times the pace slowed a little too much for me,  I would not hesitate to recommend this book.  

2 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I enjoy chick lit too but it's hard to find these days. Thanks for the recommendation.

Anonymous said...

This book sounds so fun!

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges