2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Friday, November 9, 2018

BOOK REVIEW for Surviving Agent Orange by Gretchen Bonaduce






TITLE:               Surviving Agent Orange

AUTHOR:          Gretchen Bonaduce

GENRE:              Memoir

RATING:             4 stars


I am writing this review with some trepidation as I now know how Gretchen feels about reviewers - note to Gretchen; if you are reading this, please don't send me anything LOL.

I rated this book 4 stars because it is intriguing and dare I say it? entertaining.  I don't like using that word considering the fact that this is a memoir and most of the content is rather dark.

Having said that, i didn't really follow the Partridge Family, I am nowhere near Hollywood and even I knew that getting into a relationship with Bonaduce could not possibly end well.  So, one of my first instincts when reading this book was "well, didn't you see that one coming?" - at. all?  However, this book simply reinforces my view that we women, even the strong ones like Gretchen, turn dumb when it comes to men and love.

As I continued to read, I started to truly appreciate Gretchen's honesty at describing situations and her reaction to them.  I like that she questions herself, wondering why she stayed for so long and I certainly think she did all she could do to keep her family together.  I might have run for the hills way before she did, but nobody could fault her for trying to keep her life and what she knew.

Written in a very clear voice, Gretchen is honest and while some of the events she described could have used a little bit more detail, by the end, I found myself rooting for her to succeed at what she loves to do.

This is a short book and as I said, could have benefited with more fleshing out in some spots, but I find her courageous to a) have tried to hold her family together, b) written this book and c) did not, in the end, define herself only around a "celebrity".

One negative comment, there were several typos in this book. I am not sure if it was because it was Kindle, but it could have used more editing. 

No comments:

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges