2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Friday, December 20, 2019

BOOK REVIEW for Smacked by Eilene Zimmerman


Thank you to Random House for sending me an electronic copy of this book to read and review.

TITLE:         Smacked
AUTHOR:    Eilene Zimmerman
GENRE:       Memoir
RATING:      4 STARS

I loved this book.  I literally read it in a few days.

However,  I am sure I am not alone, as a reader, feeling frustrated that NOBODY be it family or employer or friends seem to pick up on the fact that Peter was a drug user.

Yes, the author discusses this at length in the book, but come on!!  In some ways, I feel as though Peter was all alone in his final journey and while I know that addicts isolate in order to use, I find it sad that not one person put all the pieces together, particularly since it  sounds  as though he was giving everyone plenty of "clues" to work with.  Could someone have helped him? probably not as is clearly indicated in this book - only the addict can help him/her self, but it makes you wonder anyway.

Having said all of that, I have mad respect for the author (and her children) for sharing such an intimate part of their lives.  It must have been both difficult and hopefully cathartic to do so.

Although this book is separated into sections, for me, there were only 2 - before and after.  The beginning part is fascinating, while the more "analytical" part is less engrossing.  The author does tend to go back and forth between events (and years) but it is easy enough to follow.

Her writing style is wonderful.  Down to earth and engrossing (I cannot call a memoir of this kind entertaining considering the subject matter) I literally could not put this down.

I would have liked a bit more  detail on the "before" part, but overall, this is one of the best books I have ever read on addiction (and I read a lot of em).


Here is hoping everyone in the family is  happy and thriving.  I lost my dad when I was only 11 and while it was because of a car crash, I know that growing up with that kind of event in your young life marks you for life.

No comments:

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges