2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Monday, December 15, 2008

REVIEW for Show No Fear


Thank you, thank you to Michelle at Simon and Schuster for sending me this book.




TITLE: Show No Fear
AUTHOR: Perri O'Shaughnessy
GENRE: Legal Thriller
DATE; December 2008
RATING: 3 stars


I have been a huge Perri O’Shaughnessy fan and an even bigger Nina O’Reilly fan for years and years.

It has been a while since we have caught up with Nina and now the O’Shaughnessy sisters have finally written another installment. Except that this book, Show No Fear, is a prequel to all the other books. Its basically the book that details Nina’s life in her mid-twenties including her early days in law school and her life as a single mom (Bob is but a toddler in this one). We also get to find out a lot more about Bob’s father and Nina’s mother – who is quite ill as we read the opening chapter.

Things are not going very well for Nina – her ‘useless, vain ex-boyfriend’ and Bob’s dad has decided to fight her for custody of Bob, Nina’s mother is quite ill and out of this will come a malpractice lawsuit that Nina will have to bring forward on behalf of her mother. Matt is a teenager here and absolutely useless – so basically, unlike in the later novels, Nina is pretty much on her own here.
Through all of the goings on, Nina will also find herself caught up in a suspicious case in which a woman ‘has fallen’ off a bridge. There is a lot going on in this book– and because we are reading about ‘young Nina’ I had a hard time reconciliating the ‘older Nina with the younger one’. I am use to a spunky, determined, confident Nina and, of course, this is not the Nina that we find here. Yes, you see the beginnings of Nina’s personality and fight developing – which I thought was probably the most interesting aspect of this book – you can just see it slowly blooming – but something was missing for me.
The other issue I had is that as a rule, I don’t like prequels – I always feel it very jarring to read, about a much-loved and well established character, backwards. Matt is a great example of this – in Show No Fear, he is so irresponsible, that I actually actively disliked him – whereas in the other books, he is one of my favorite characters. I also found myself missing many of the characters in the books that I have grown accustomed to.

Yes, there is something to be said for being able to see the characters grow – but I prefer to do it in a normal chronological time span.

As for the suspense in this book, its okay – the storyline of the girl and the bridge feels almost incidental to everything else that is going on in this book – there is too much and yet at the same time, I felt oddly let down.

1 comment:

Kaye said...

I've read every book in this series and was looking forward to this one. Normally, I don't mind prequels. Your review was very good. I am still going to read the book anyway but maybe now with a much more critical eye.
Thanks for sharing.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges